Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Reflection

I know it's still August and there are 4 more months to go in the year but since my birthday I have been reflecting back on the year so far. There have been many events that I will not forget for a long time, most of them good, but some that were not. The two major events that happened in my life actually happened toward the end of the year in 2005 but I really didn't realize the impact until this year.

One of these events happened on October 3, 2005, to be precise. This one is probably the most important but I am still not ready to share it with the world. Only a select few know and I'd like to keep it that way, at least for a while longer.

The second of these events happened the week before Christmas, 2005. This is when my partner of just shy of 10 years and I split up. Granted we are still good friends and still live together, things have changed a lot because of this. I'm single again after 10 years... that is a big change. Since then I have not really seen anyone, except for one, my J-Bear, whom I have mentioned in previous posts. But then we too drifted apart and right now there is no one special in my life... except of course for my friends.

In April 2006, my friend RanD moved to Atlanta from Topeka, KS. We had met on a previous visit the year before and kept in touch and became close. My friend Savannah and I talked him into moving here and I hope that he still thinks it was a good idea. He struggled at first to find a job but did. Then he found out about the opportunity of a life time and applied for a job in Iraq. He just left on Sunday. I was sad to see him go as we had really gotten closer than ever but he will be back in a year. And he'll have a big chunk in the bank for his services. So I am happy for him, but sad that he is gone.

My friend Zach has always been there for me for moral support. I met Zach a few years ago when I was about to start the Adkins diet. He too had done the diet and told me all about it. In the last year I think that we have grown closer than ever and I thank him for that. He has been there for me during some of the ups and downs that have resulted from the big "October 3" event. I appreciate that more than he knows.

Another friend whom I have really grown close to in the past year is my friend Chase. At first we just saw each other at B's. Then he had to go away for a while. But he managed to stay in touch whenever he was back in town. Then he moved back in town and we have become very close. Again, he is one of the select few that have been there for me, i.e. "October 3."

Savannah and his partner, Robert, are my cooking and IT support, respectively. I probably don't see as much of them as I should but we still try to get together every week and do something. Savannah could feed an army at the drop of a hat and Robert has saved me a ton of money whenever I have computer problems... which seems to be letting up a little, thankfully.

And DJ John... oh Lord! John is my unbiased advice-giver. We work together at B's, and that's it. We don't hang out together when we're not working, which wouldn't be bad if we did but we just don't. But I feel like I can go to John and ask him anything in the strictest of confidence and he will give me his most honest answer or advice. For that I am most thankful. He has really helped me the most in coping with my "October 3" event, and with the breakup with my ex.

My "sista in crime" is Blanche, whom I work with every day, has been moral support for several years. This summer has been the best summer for a long time and I owe it partly to Jeff for dragging me to the pool all the time! I hope that we will continue having such a great friendship and that we can find something to do together after the pool closes!

Jeesh! I guess I better wrap this one up. I didn't intend for it to go on and on but I guess I just got on a roll. Well, here's to the rest of 2006, whatever we can make of it!


DJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home